In five short years, between 2010 and 2015 Fargo Courier grew rapidly from having 23 to 87 outlets in Kenya, only 12 of which had access to fibre connectivity.
Poor roads and common power outages meant they needed to find a solution that ran off a 3G network for all courier functions and was android based so that solar could be used as a more reliable power source. On top of that, the technology used needed to be affordable for all their outlets so that they could maintain organic growth.
A standard of 95% overnight delivery to the whole country needed to be maintained that gave real-time tracking and transparency to all clients. An incredibly complex billing system with over 430 unique accounts had to be put into a usable automated account matrix.
The first step was to find the right solution provider who was flexible, adaptable and could handle the difficulties faced within the logistics market in East Africa. Various companies across the world were considered and Dovetail were chosen as they had the expertise to cater for such challenges.
Operational improvements included:
- Reduced paperwork chain in a consignment lifecycle from six manually written documents to just one (being the original waybill).
- Only e-pod’s (no hard copy ) to all clients.
- Reducing the bottleneck of collection data from the main Nairobi hub by inputting the majority of consignee/consignor information out in the field, enabling them to increase volume and reduce turnaround time mat the sorting depots.
- Real-time tracking outside of the city – Fargo is the only one that offers this service at no extra cost to the user.
- Improved value by including SMS confirmations on delivery to select accounts, giving real-time data.
Thanks to the implementation of the new Dovetail Systems, Fargo has seen a 12% growth in a year where Kenya has experienced some of the worst economic times since the 2007 post-election violence.
As a result of the business benefits Fargo Courier achieved through Dovetail’s Transport Solutions, new opportunities for Dovetail were opened within the Fargo Group.
Fargo Courier has selected to implement Dovetail’s Warehouse Management Solutions (HighJump Enterprise 3PL WMS) into their warehousing and logistics division.